Master of International Trade
About the programme
The Master of International Trade (MIT) is a postgraduate programme offered by Perdana University that is designed for professionals and those interested in this field who wish to deepen their knowledge of international trade negotiations and commercial diplomacy. This intensive graduate programme will bring together bright young people and leading experts from around the world. The programme will be taught by fly-in faculty from the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), Zurich University of Applied Sciences, School of Management and Law (ZHAW), the University of St Gallen (Switzerland) and the German University in Cairo (Egypt). In addition, the programme will draw on the expertise of trade negotiators from developing countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
The programme consists of 12 modules (8 core and 4 electives) which are arranged to maximize the amount of theoretical and practical knowledge. It will employ both the conventional and blended learning approaches to teaching and learning. Face-to-face classes for 2015 will be offered in January, May and September (refer to curriculum structure). Additional electives will be offered in 2016/2017.
In the beginning, students will acquire the foundational knowledge and tools in economics, law and political economy of international trade, commercial diplomacy and trade negotiations. These are required for in-depth studies in the later stages, and for preparing a portfolio of the programme. The modules in the later part of the programme cover specific topics relevant to international trade and commercial diplomacy, including intellectual property and government procurement.
- To remedy the limited technical and negotiating capacity of developing countries to participate effectively in the negotiations on the Doha Development Agenda at the WTO as well as in on-going regional and bilateral FTA negotiations
- To educate future generation of trade negotiators both in Malaysia and from the region
- To provide first class training in international trade issues, a sound knowledge of WTO rules and negotiation processes
- To upgrade skills of Government officials handling trade negotiations and related matters
- Combine theory with Real-World applications of international trade and commercial diplomacy
- Taught and facilitated by world-renowned and experienced trade negotiators and
academicians from across the globe
- Flexible learning modules for working professionals
- Optional study tour to trade related institutions in Geneva such as WTO, UNCTAD, WIPO and ILO and participate in international trade meetings