Dr. Ranjeev Hari Nair
Dr. Ranjeev Hari Nair
MSc. Pharmacoinformatics (USM), PhD. Bioinformatics (UM)
Dr. Ranjeev Hari Nair is a Lecturer at the Perdana University School of Data Sciences (PU-SDS), under the Perdana University Centre for Bioinformatics (PU-CBi). He completed a Master of Science (major in Pharmacoinformatics) at the Universiti Sains Malaysia. He has obtained his PhD from the University of Malaya in the field of Bioinformatics.
Dr. Hari has several years of experience in academia being involved with guiding both students and co-workers in wet lab experimental, as well as bioinformatics research. Previously, he was involved in developing an e-learning portal using Python programming language as a tool for teaching and learning among Pharmacy students, which went on to win an ICT competition in Taiwan. He also gained experience in launching tech-based startups during his training with Founder Institute in Palo Alto, California, USA through a unique Global Linkages Program sponsored by MDEC Malaysia.
He was part of the International Pangolin Research Consortium (IPaRC) and played a major role in the pangolin genome project which was then published in Genome Research, a reputable journal in the field of genetics. His current research interests encompasses several areas in comparative genomics, metagenomics, and transposable elements based on next generation sequencing technologies.
1. Aini, M. Y., Tze King, T., Hari, R., Klaus-Peter, K., Wei Yee, W., Agostinho, A., … Siew Woh, C. (2016). De novo sequencing, assembly and analysis of eight different transcriptomes from the Malayan pangolin. Scientific Reports.
2. Choo, S. W., Rayko, M., Tan, T. K., Hari, R., Komissarov, A., Wee, W. Y., … Wong, G. J. (2016). Pangolin genomes and the evolution of mammalian scales and immunity. Genome Research, gr.203521.115. https://doi.org/10.1101/gr.203521.115
3. Hari, R., Paterson, I. C., & Choo, S. W. (2016). A new complete mitogenome of the critically endangered Chinese pangolin Manis pentadactyla. Conservation Genetics Resources, 1–4.
4. Heydari, H., Wee, W. Y., Lokanathan, N., Hari, R., Yusoff, A. M., Beh, C. Y., … Choo, S. W. (2013). MabsBase: a Mycobacterium abscessus genome and annotation database. PloS One, 8(4), e62443.
5. Tan, T. K., Tan, K. Y., Hari, R., Mohamed Yusoff, A., Wong, G. J., Siow, C. C., … Choo, S. W. (2016). PGD: a pangolin genome hub for the research community. Database: The Journal of Biological Databases and Curation, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1093/database/baw063
1. Hari R, Aini Yasmin, Tan Joon Liang, Wee Wei Yee, Tan Tze King, Wong Guat Jah, and Choo Siew Woh.“Assembly and Preliminary Characterisation of the first Manis javanica Genome”. MSMBB Conference, Monash University, MALAYSIA. 2014
2. Yusoff AM, Hari R, Karuppannan KV, Sitam FT, Tan JL, Choo SW. 2013. The First Malayan Pangolin Transcriptome: Preliminary Data.
3. Rayko, M, Komossirov A, Tan JL, Hari R, Tan TK, Siew Woh C, O’Brien, SJ, Yurchenko, A. Genome Sequence and Annotation of Chinese Pangolin (Manis pentadactyla) and Malayan Pangolin (Manis javanica). Plant and Animal Genome Asia, SINGAPORE. 2015
4. Hassali MA, Shafie AA, Hari R. Students Evaluation, Perception and Knowledge on Pharmaceutical Biotechnology Course in Universiti Sains Malaysia
Project title: Long non-coding transcript analysis
Project title: Tabanid fly metagenomics
Project title: Pangolin genome analysis