Dr. Karen Morgan
Dr. Karen Morgan
RCSI Lead, Psychology & Behavioural Sciences
PhD (NUI), Reg Psychol PsSI
Dr. Karen Morgan is a health and organisational psychologist. She has a Masters in Social and Organisational Psychology (University College Dublin, Ireland) and a PhD in health Psychology (Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland). Prior to joining PU-RCSI Dr Morgan worked as a lecturer in RCSI, teaching medical, physiotherapy and pharmacy undergraduate students. She also taught on a range of postgraduate programmes. Dr. Morgan’s research draws on theories and frameworks from health and organisational psychology. Her research interests include quality of care, ageing and population health. She previously held a research fellowship from the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS) and is Irish co-PI on an FP7 funded 10 country study which aims to improve quality and safety in the hospital by examining the link between organisational culture, burnout, and quality of care (ORCAB). Dr. Morgan is actively involved in a number of professional societies and is the current Secretary of the European Health Psychology Society.
- Jaafar H, Mahadeva S, Morgan K & Tan MP. Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy versus nasogastric feeding in older individuals with non-stroke dysphagia: A systematic review. Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, Nov (online first). DOI: 10.1007/s12603-014-0527-z
- Dawe K, Montgomery A, McGee H, Panagopoulou E, Morgan K, Hackshaw L & Vedhara K. The effects of perceived stress on biological parameters in healthcare professionals: A systematic review. J Health Psychol. 2014 May 13. pii: 1359105314532970. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sexton E, King-Kallimanis BL, Morgan K & McGee H (2014). Development of the Brief Ageing Perceptions Questionnaire (B-APQ): a confirmatory factor analysis approach to item reduction. BMC Geriatrics 2014, 14:44 DOI:10.1186/1471-2318-14-44
- Humphries N, Morgan K, Conry MC, McGowan Y, Montgomery A & McGee H (2014). Quality of Care and Health Professional Burnout: Narrative Literature Review. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, Vol. 27 Iss: 4
- Doyle FD, Rhode D, Rutkowska A, Morgan K, Cousins G & McGee H (2014). Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of the Impact of Depression on Subsequent Smoking Cessation in Patients with Coronary Heart Disease: 1990 to 2013. Psychosom Med. 76(1):44-57. DOI: 10.1097/PSY.0000000000000020
- Bourke A, Boduszek D, Kelleher C, McBride O & Morgan K (2014) Sex education, first sex and sexual health outcomes in adulthood: findings from a nationally representative sexual health survey, Sex Education: Sexuality, Society and Learning, 14:3, 299-309, DOI: 10.1080/14681811.2014.887008
- Bourke A, Doherty S, McBride O, Morgan K & McGee H (2013) Female perpetrators of child sexual abuse: characteristics of the offender and victim, Psychology, Crime and Law. DOI:10.1080/1068316X.2013.860456
- Cosco TD, Morgan K, Currie-Murphy L & McGee H (2013). Early onset drinking: Negative outcome and behaviours. Public Health, Jun 22. pii: S0033-3506(13)00105-4. DOI: 10.1016/j.puhe.2013.03.004. [Epub ahead of print]
- Yogalingam K, Kelleher C, Bourke, Boduszek D, McGee H & Morgan K (2013). Experiences of Crisis Pregnancy among Irish and Non-Irish adults living in Ireland: Findings from the Irish Contraception and Crisis Pregnancy Survey 2010 (ICCP-2010) Ir J Med Sci. Apr 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- McGowan Y, Morgan K, Humphries N & Conry M (2013). Through Doctor’s Eyes: A Qualitative Study of Hospital Doctor Perspectives on their Working Conditions. British Journal of Health Psychology, Mar 11 [Epub ahead of print] DOI: 10.1111/bjhp.12037
- Kelleher C, Boduszek D, Bourke A, McBride O & Morgan K (2013). Parental involvement in sexuality education: advancing understanding through an analysis of findings from the 2010 Irish Contraception and Crisis Pregnancy Survey. Sex Education: Sexuality, Society and Learning 2013, Feb 11 [Epub ahead of print]DOI: 10.1080/14681811.2012.760448
- Doyle F, Doherty S, Morgan K, McBride O & Hickey A (2012). Understanding communication of health information: a lesson in health literacy for junior medical and physiotherapy students. J of Health Psychol, Jun 11 [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 22689589.
- Doyle F, Watson R, Morgan K & McBride O (2012). A hierarchy of distress and invariant item ordering in the General Health Questionnaire‐12. J Affect Disord. 139(1):85-8. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 22421030.
- McBride O, Morgan K & McGee H (2012). Recruitment using mobile telephones in an Irish general population sexual health survey: challenges and practical solutions. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 12:45. PMID: 22475155.
- Conry M, Humphries N, Morgan K, McGowan Y, Montgomery A, Vedhara K, Panagopoulou E & Mc Gee H (2012). A 10 year (2000-2010) systematic review of interventions to improve quality of care in hospitals. BMC Health Services Research, 12:275. PMID: 22925835.
- Bartels C, Riyad Y AbuHaliga A, McGee H, Morgan K, McElvaney N & Doyle F (2012). A survey of the prevalence of smoking and smoking cessation advice received by inpatients in a large teaching hospital in Ireland. Ir J Med Sci. Jan 6. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22223193
- Morgan K, Burke H & McGee H (2012). Benchmarking Progress in the Implementation of the Fourth Joint Societies’ Task Force Guidelines on the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in Clinical Practice. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. PMID: 22345672.
- Guiney H, Woods N, Whelton, H & Morgan K (2011). Predictors of utilisation of dental care services in a nationally representative sample of adults. Community Dental Health, 28 (4):269-273. PMID: 2232006.
- Chazelle E, Lemogne C, Morgan K, Kelleher CC, Chastang JF & Niedhammer I (2011). Explanations of educational differences in major depression and generalised anxiety disorder in the Irish population. J Affect Disord. Nov; 134(1-3):304-14. Epub 2011 Jun 14. PMID: 21676469.
- Van Lente E, Barry MM, Molcho M, Morgan K, Watson D, Harrington, J & McGee H (2011). Measuring population mental health and social well-being. Int J Public Health. 2012 Apr; 57(2):421-30. Epub 2011 Nov 3. PMID: 22048275.
- Conry MC, Morgan K, Curry P, McGee H, Harrington J, Ward M & Shelley E (2011). The Clustering of Health Behaviours in Ireland and their Relationship with Mental Health, Self-Rated Health and Quality of Life. BMC Public Health 11:692. PMID 21896196.
- Martin J, Barry J, Goggin D, Morgan K, Ward M & O’Suilleabhain T (2010). Alcohol-Attributable Mortality in Ireland. Alcohol & Alcoholism. Jul-Aug; 45(4):379-86. PMID: 20530495.
- Tully NE, Morgan KM, Burke HM & McGee HM (2010). Patient experiences of structured heart failure programmes. Rehabilitation Research and Practice. PMID: 22110963.
- Harrington J, Perry IJ, Lutomski J, Fitzgerald AP, Sheily F, McGee H, Barry MM; Van Lente E, Morgan K & Shelley E (2009). Living longer and feeling better: healthy lifestyle, self-rated health, obesity and depression in Ireland. Eur J Public Health. 2010 Feb; 20(1):91-5. Epub 2009 Jul 8. PMID: 19587230.
- Morgan K, McGee H &Shelley E (2007). Quality of life assessment in heart failure interventions: a ten year (1996-2005) review. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil, 14, 589-607. PMID: 17925617.
HPV vaccine acceptability study
A 5 country programme which examines the barriers to HPV vaccination.
PU research team: Dr Karen Morgan (Principal Investigator), Mr Amuthan Ganesh, Ms Anne Jamaludin, Sangeeta Kaur (Research Manager) and Kanason Rajagobal (Research Officer).
Falls & Frailty in older people
A programme of research which is (i) evaluating the characteristics and psychological effects of falls in older patients presenting to the emergency room (ii) evaluating the effects of exercise therapy and home hazards interventions (iii) developing biomarkers of fraility (iv) determining perceptions on end-of-life issues in frail and non-frail elderly
In collaboration with the Ageing and Age-associated Disorders Research Group, University Malaya.