Doctor of Medicine (MD)
|PROGRAMME||Doctor of Medicine (MD)|
|DURATION OF STUDY||4 years|
|MODE OF STUDY||Full time|
This is a graduate entry program. The requirements for admission are:
- A degree in Science e.g. Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Immunology, Genetics, Immunogenetics, Engineering, Nutrition and Pharmacy with a minimum CGPA of 3.5
- Computer Literacy – Working knowledge
- MUET Examination score of band 4 and above for Malaysian candidates.
- International students are required to sit an English Proficiency Test:
- TOEFL – 600 / TOEFL – 250 (Computer based). Applicants taking the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) should have minimum sub-scores of 26 (Reading), 26 (Listening), 22 (Writing), and 25 (Speaking).
- If the IELTS is taken, an overall band score of 6.5 is required. These scores are general guidelines. Applicants will be assessed on an individual basis to determine their proficiency in English.
Candidates will be interviewed before final selection. Admission into PUGSOM is determined by an Admissions Committee chaired by the Dean.
The MD program at PUGSOM has been developed to meet Malaysian needs and international expectations. Students will be academically prepared to sit for the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USLME).
Various teaching-learning methods are utilized in achieving the learning outcomes of the program. Teaching learning methods include lectures, tutorials, small group discussion, team-based learning, research projects, clinical sessions with standardised/simulated patients, clinical sessions with real patients in clinic and in hospital settings.
Teaching-learning in the first two years of the four year GEM program at PUGSOM is targeted at students being provided with a strong footing in the biomedical and health sciences while being provided with early clinical exposure from the first semester in the first year of medical school.
In the final two years in the medical school teaching-learning is carried out by a series of clinical clerkships in the various medical and surgical disciplines. Intersession courses are conducted throughout the four years of medical school.
At the end of the MD program, students will be able to practice medicine in a proficient and competent manner.